Jan 12, 2006

I fail to notice.

“All that is required for evil to prevail
is for good men to do nothing.”

— Edmund Burke



A horrible thing has happened - I come to realize I have become inured to the antics of the current administration. In a sense I imagine it is a victory of sorts for George Jr and Co. and a loss for many of us. Watching, hearing or reading about each new transgression on the civil liberties of our citizens no longer surprises or shocks me in the way it once might have.

I now sit back and await the days for the mid-term election, hoping against hope that some kind of serious push can be made to take the executive branch to task for its wild spending habits, gross mismanagement of resources and waste of public good will.

Whatever opportunity existed in the days following September ’01 to significantly alter and unite or nation are rapidly falling by the wayside. It’s not about Afghanistan, it’s not about Iraq, not anymore for me - it‘s about seeing things like the aftermath of Katrina, a growing trade deficit, rising federal debt, an increasing loss of jobs in the manufacturing sector, chipping away at Social Security, no real tort reform and a lack of any true progress in controlling the costs of medical care, insurance and drugs - don’t even get me going about education.

Like the song goes, I’ve Become Comfortably Numb.

I’m numb yes, but that doesn’t mean I’m asleep though. I’m just waiting. Counting the days until the next election. Tick, tick, tick, tick. All I’m hoping for is that the democrats can get their act together to send a strong, clear message that will resonate not just with their loyal base but, with crossover voters like me. It won’t be such a hard task this time around.

No comments: